Type of childcare – Nanny Type

In-Home Child Care Providers and Shared Care

Some parents choose to hire an in-home child care provider (often referred to as a nanny, or au-pair) to care for their children. This person may live in or out of your home and may have additional responsibilities such as light housekeeping, cooking, laundry, carpooling and errand-running. Live-in providers generally work for room and board plus a salary. In-home child care is usually the most expensive form of child care.

Parents generally find in-home providers by placing ads in the classified section of local newspapers, using an agency that specializes in child care providers, or reviewing listings at a resource and referral service. The resource and referral agency in your area can provide you with the names of placement agencies and with listings of actual providers. It can also give you specific guidelines for interviewing prospective providers (some offer translation services for limited-English speaking applicants), assist you in writing/placing an ad, and supply you with a sample contract to use when you have made your choice.

You can also place listings, with salaries, for in-home child care providers at the Student Employment unit of the campus Career Planning and Placement Center at 642-0440. If child care is in exchange for room and board, listings can be posted with the campus Housing Office at 642-3644.

When interviewing in-home providers inquire about their level of experience and training in caring for children of the same age as your child. You should ask for references and make sure that you check them. Discuss the caregiver’s willingness and/or special training to care for your child in case of illness or injury. You should also make a point of discussing the time commitment you expect of the caregiver, as well as planning for their sick and vacation requests.

Some families may choose to enter a cooperative care arrangement, referred to as a “share,” in which two or more families pool their resources to hire one caregiver who will care for all their children either in one home or alternating among them. Such an arrangement is often more expensive than family day care, but costs less than hiring an in-home caregiver for one or two children in the same family.